Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Suzie Homemaker? Who's laughing now?!

Well to those of you that laughed at me for registering for kitchen gadgets and gizmos when I got married, and wondered if I would display any homemaking skills, hear this and laugh: I have two new bees in my bonnet.

The first is that I want to try to make my own diapers. Not the old-fashioned diapers that our mothers used, but 21st century diapers. No pins, no rubber pants! I've ordered enough material to make a trial diaper (I'm trying microfleece on the inside instead of suedecloth, and I'm not sure if my current diapers are 1mil or 2mil, so I'm getting 2mil) and then will decide which way I like it better.

For those of you not familiar with my bumGenius diapers, let me give a short explanation of the materials. The outer layer of the diaper will be PUL (polyeurathane laminate) which is waterproof. The inside next to Claire's skin will be seudecloth or microfleece (both of these fabrics wick moisture away from baby's skin) The inside of the diaper will be microfiber terry if I can find it (it has great absorption/thickness ratio). There is elastic in the back and legs to help keep the mess in. There are stretchy tabs for a customized fit, and aplix - similar to velcro. Basically, it works like a disposable, but you can use it over and over. I think I'll be able to make mine for about a quarter of the cost of buying bumGenius.

My second bee is that I'm going to try to start making my own yogurt. We eat it every day, and it's going to be a big part of Claire's diet as well (Super Baby Diet, but that's a whole other story). I've been reading up on it, and I think I can do it. There are several reasons that I want to do this. The first is that organic yogurt, which we've always purchased for Lauren, is expensive. The second is that if it's not organic (for Tyler and me), it has lots of ingredients that we don't need, and way too much sugar. If I make my own, I can control those things. Did you know that some brands of yogurt have the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar! Could you imagine how you'd react if you watched a friend add sugar to their tea or coffee and you were silently counting one, two...eight, nine, ten!!!

Well, I guess that's a third bee: eating healthier. I'm so stuck on daily caffiene i.e. Dr. Pepper, and I'm trying to cut back. And, as I'm about to begin the process of making Claire's baby food (all from scratch, bee #4) I'm reading a lot about nutrition...which ties into bee #2, making yogurt, and also bee#5, looking for ways to save/make money. Boy, I'm sure on a rabbit trail with a lot of bees flying around. Did I mention that I'm afraid of bees? Or anything that stings? You see, I've never been stung by anything, and the older I get, the more afraid I am...still rambling down the rabbit trail...(just to clarify, I'm afraid of bees, not the rambling rabbit trail...what kind of run-on/fragmented sentence is that, anyway?)

4 comments:

Christina said...

Good for you! Let me know how the homemade yogurt goes - I have thought about that too but have never done it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandy,

Read your post, and was surprised to hear that you are keeping a daily intake of caffeine going! As healthy as you are in so many other areas, it just surprised me...you do realize that Claire is getting caffeine if you are drinking it? Just thought I would mention it in case it hadn't crossed your mind, since you seem to be very careful with what you feed the girls. Anyway, great to hear about all of your bees...let me know how the yogurt goes. Also, which brands of yogurt have ten teaspoons of sugar?! I want to make sure we avoid them as well! I buy organic for Michael, which over here is insanely expensive, but do not for me and Rodney. Don't want to be downing that much sugar. :) Happy homemaking!

mama hall said...

hi brandy,
i am SO proud of you! :) yay for homemade diapies and food! my mom used to call me a hippie bc i carried H around in a sling and pureed my own fruits & veggies for her. hippie-shmippy! just good ole' fashioned homemaker mamas! :)

mama hall said...

hi brandy! i am so proud of you :) homemade diapies and yogurt - yay! my mom used to call me a hippie bc i wore H in a sling and pureed my own fruits & veggies for her. hippie-shmippie! just good ole fashioned homemakin' mamas! :) xo-eryn